Managing My Time

Over the past week or so I have read several blog articles about managing time or sharing their work schedule.  And lately, I have been thinking that I need a better schedule, one that will make me more productive throughout the day.  I mean, my day is pretty scheduled once Gus (my cousin told me to stop calling him "the toddler" so he will now be using the alias of Gus, which was actually a name consideration for him for a short time) wakes up, which is coincidentally when I tend to wake up.  Now before you cry foul and tell me that I should be getting up way early to get things done, I have to tell you that I am not a morning person.  Not by a long shot. 

Since Gus was born and we got him into a good sleep routine, I have been faking the morning-person thing.  I go to bed relatively early, but no matter what time I go to sleep (and I'm not laying there awake- I'm sleeping like a rock) I have a very hard time getting up in the morning and I always have.  I am just one of those people who works much, much, much better at night.  Even now, after Gus goes to sleep I run around doing things that I should have gotten done during the day in the short amount of time before our early bedtime (hubs needs to get up early).  I swear I can get more done in an hour or two then than I do all day.

But whiling the day away and then sqeezing in a few hours is not exactly working.


First I think I need to move my computer out of the main hub of that house: the kitchen.  I have been thinking about putting it upstairs in my little work room so that I cannot check it whenever I want to, as I spend most of my time in the kitchen/dining/living room area.  I also have been toying with the possibility of actually setting my alarm a la my teacher days and trying to get up before Gus in order to get some things done.  Ahhh!  I'm just starting to feel like this is something that's going to need to happen and will probably make me feel better about my productivity.


I also want to try and write some advanced blog posts so I'm not doing those last minute.  I love it when I have a few ideas already started and I can just finish them off and post them up.  I just worry about creative time because that definitely comes more at night, but I guess if I get other things done during the day then I can use that time after Gus goes to bed to try and make some new things.

So I'm open to suggestions, other time management links, and tales of your own daily schedule.  Are there any night-owl converts out there?  Do you work better in the day or night?

Comments

  1. Planning out blog posts is a HUGE time-saver for me. I find it works best when I sketch out week at a time. That way I can take care of the miscellaneous parts (pictures, etc.) whenever I feel like it.

    A typical day for me is going to the day job in the morning, and doing all of my Etsy-related things in the afternoon. I'm a morning person, so getting up and getting out the door is no problem. (Sometimes I even blog before work!)

    I don't think you need to get up at the crack of dawn to be productive. Moving the computer will help a lot. It's a big time-suck. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sometimes i'm the night owl and sometimes i'm that early risers. i teach in the morning-afternoon. afternoon-evening i do my music-related stuffs, so most of promotion thing (online life) i do at night. but i work best either in the morning or at night as long as i'm not sick and have enough vitamin C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love the time before my kids get up, not really a morning person but even if I just use that time to have my coffee and read a few blogs it makes me feel more productive the rest of the day. Orangies Attic

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being efficient with time is the great mystery of life. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts