How Y’all, Youse and You Guys Talk.

Apparently this quiz from the New York Times (titled How Y’all, Youse and You Guys Talk) is the new, hot thing making the rounds on the Internet, and so I'm sure I am totally behind on it, but it is amazingly accurate, guessing both the husband and I correctly, so I had to share just in case you missed it.  (originally found on this Hot Air site)



The survey is supposed to be able to predict where you are from by the way you speak.  If you look at the map above, the spot where the darkest red is is supposed to be where I'm from (I've lived in Connecticut my whole life- did I mention that it was accurate?), gathered from 25 questions asking how you pronounce things like "crayon" (for me, "cran"), or what terms you use for things like carbonated beverages and sub sandwiches (for me, soda and grinders).  The questions are funny- because on a few of them I didn't even know what they were talking about, which I suppose helped pin me down.  At the very least, it's entertainment for a few minutes.

If you decide to take it I'd love to hear how it turned out for you- did it nail you down accurately too?

Comments

  1. it was spot on for me- california all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paige @ Little NostalgiaDecember 30, 2013 at 9:35 AM

    It was uncanny! Very dark red for Chicago. I had a bit of yellow/orange in California, but I think that's because I have family out there and we spent a lot of time with them when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took this quiz, and basically most of the country was orange. So, not really accurate for me. Maybe because I was an Army brat and moved a lot to very different speaking regions?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea, could totally be that you just picked up dialect from so many different places!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing, isn't it? It just shows how much we really pick up from where we live, and just how regional it all really is!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the longer you've lived somewhere, too, the stronger it's going to be. We really pick up on things we say from where we are!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I took this quiz awhile back, when it first appeared, but I can't remember how accurate it was. So, I went ahead and took it again. :) The darkest areas for me stretched between Lincoln, Nebraska, and Des Moines, Iowa. I actually grew up in Iowa, just across the river from Omaha, Nebraska, so I'd say it's pretty accurate! This was fun to do. I remember taking a linguistics course in college and having to ask a lot of similar questions.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts