Chili Party: Beef, Bean, and Beer Chili

It's that time again!  Paige organized another food extravaganza to make us all hungry.  (If you missed the taco party, click here.)  This time around we're doing chili!  Since football season has started, Paige thought it might be fun to share recipes for one of football's favorite treats.  I don't care much for football, and you won't catch us watching it, but that doesn't mean I can't join in on the food, right?.


(Please excuse my poor photos. We were salivating at this point.)

This recipe is adapted slightly from one my uncle gave me.  His called for a shot of Old Grandad in it, but since whiskey is a scant find around here, I opted for a cup of beer instead (Beer is also scant, but much more easily purchasable at the grocery store.)  This is a nice thick chili that is great by itself or over rice, and we always have corn bread with it.

Beef, Bean, and Beer Chili

1- 1.5 pounds ground beef
Spanish/vidalia onion, chopped
small bell pepper- pick your color, chopped
2 stalks of celery, chopped
4 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1 can diced tomatoes with chilis (14.5 ounce or close to it)
1 tablespoon cornmeal
1 cup dark beer
1 14.5-ounce can beans (I typically use black beans), undrained
salt and pepper
shredded cheddar cheese

Heat a pot over medium-high heat, add the ground beef and brown.  Depending on the percent of fat content of your meat, you may need to strain the excess grease out of your meat. (90/10 you generally don't, but 80/20 you definitely do.)  

Once the meat is browned and grease is removed, add in the onion, bell pepper, and celery and combine.  (I don't list amounts because it depends on how much you like to use.  I generally chop one thick slab off of a vidalia onion, and that's plenty.)


Add chili powder, cumin, and oregano to the meat and vegetable mix and combine, then add in the can of tomatoes and cornmeal.  Combine, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add the dark beer and undrained beans, salt and pepper to taste, combine again and simmer for another 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.  The liquid will cook down and thicken, leaving you with a nice meaty chili with lots of flavor.  Ladle into bowls and top with shredded cheddar and you're good to go.  (Also, this would be great over nacho chips.  Just saying.)


I hope you give it a try- it certainly doesn't last long around here.

Before you go, please stop by and visit my other chili party friends, too!

Comments

  1. Ha, I have the same tip about nachos in my post!

    This looks delicious. I don't think I've ever had chili with beer in it before, but I know it would go over really well with everyone we know. Thanks for being part of the recipe party! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great!! I'd have to go without celery but I definitely like recipes with beer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I don't watch football, either. It doesn't stop me from loving chili! I've never made chili with beer in it, even though I know it's a popular ingredient. I. Need to try it some time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never added beer before but I know people who do! I should try it. Now I'm wondering what it would taste like with whiskey! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks so good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't watch football either, but when my husband came home and found out that I was making chili, AND the green bay packers were playing, he was in heaven :) Your recipe sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! This looks really good, I've never put beer in chili, but this sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts