Sculpey Clay Ornaments Tutorial {Guest Post}

I've been having so much fun swapping "vintage" posts with Pam, and I've got another one for you.  Her ornaments actually turned out well, so maybe I'd suggest not following my example and trying this instead.


Two For One: Jewerly or Onament

Hi guys.  Hope all is well on your end.  We are headlong into the hustle and bustle of Christmas here. We've been mailing prints all over the place. Making plans for our holiday menus and foods will give to others.  Enjoying Christmas movies - this weekend White Christmas and Monday, A Christmas Carol.  Isn't the hustle and bustle part of what gives us the sense of the season.....what makes us appreciate those moments of downtime with the ones we love even more special? Of course, it's good to remember to breathe. Thankfully, even though I didn't get out to the field yesterday, I received a nice reminder to 'breathe' from my pal Cari-Jane, who posted some lovely pictures of the area surrounding their new home. Just lovely, a quick virtual breather. 

Now onto some crafting my pretties.

I did this tutorial back awhile, so you may remember it. It was the first time I worked with Sculpey clay and I was quite pleased with the way it turned out. It was relatively easy. I made pendants out of it, but they can easily be converted to ornaments with the same basic tutorial. Have a go. I think you'll like the results.

****

I worked with Sculpey clay for the first time this weekend. For a first go, I was pretty happy with the results. I made few pendants and a couple of small dishes that can hold jewelry or such.

Lacey Sculpey Clay

First of all, I broke of a chunk of clay and worked it until it was a little softer and could form a ball.



Then, depending on whether I was making a pendant or a dish, I rolled it out to desired size and thickeness. I have to say, if it was too thin, it didn't work as well as if it was a bit thicker. Could have been me though since it was my first time working with it.



Then I'd lay my vintage doiley over the top and roll that into the surface to make an imprint.


If you're making a pendant, make sure you poke some holes in the piece prior to baking to accomodate a chain, wax cotton or leather cord, or ribbon for wearing.

I put each piece in a glass dish and baked in the oven at 275f. The directions said 15 minutes per 1/4 inch- I'd say a bit more. However, my oven is gas and I think the fluctuation in temperature due to that had something to do with needing extra time. Now, perhaps some of you have worked with sculpey and can give me some feedback here.......I thought it would be hard upon baking for this time. It really wasn't though. It most certainly harder than when I put it it, but it could still be bent to some extent. I took each piece and and let sit overnight and everything was much better. Also, it seemed that pieces that were 1/4" thick or more came out of the oven harder. Anything thinner never seemd to harden completely. 

I love that you can press anything into the sculpey and get pretty texture. I even used starfish and shells on one.


I wore the first pendant I made to my grand-niece's birthday and my family made fun of me.  My mother said, "I like your necklace, where'd you get that?" and I told them I'd made it that morning. The reply was a little joking sarcasm from my niece...."What'd you do this morning? Oh nothing much....made myself a necklace." My mother wouldn't even believe me that I'd made it so I guess it came out pretty good.



I just strung it on some pretty gray ribbon and viola. I haven't sealed it with anything yet. Just left it plain. I'd be a bit afraid to get it wet, but I don't see that being a problem.


I like the ribbon too, because I can adjust the length depending on the neckline of what I'm wearing and that's nice to be able to do.

And, now, at Christmastime, as an ornament. Pretty either way.



This project was not high on the difficulty scale. I was happy with the results and will be trying more.

Let me know if you've worked with it before and your results, and if my issues sounded unusual. If you have any tips for working with sculpey, I'd love to hear them.

Note: Since I originally did this tutorial, I've worked with sculpey again. So far, so good. I really enjoy this medium.

Enjoy the day.

Ciao for now,

P.S. Don't forget to come by and enter to win a shop credit to Pentunia Blooms!

Comments

Popular Posts