Progress, Not Perfection: A Look Back at 2014.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/198732934/progress-not-perfection-hand-stamped?ref=sr_gallery_35&ga_search_query=goals&ga_page=2&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

As the year slides to a close, I always like to take a quick look back at the goals I've set for myself the previous January.  This year was to be the Year of the Business, with all my goals featured in getting my shop more attention.  I think I did pretty well considering a few of them were pretty abstract:

1. Spend less time in front of the computer. (sub-goal: stop looking at gossip sites.)

Yes, and no.  I have definitely cut gossipy websites from my daily routine.  In the end, I really don't care what celebrities are doing and I would rather spend my time reading posts that are written by real people and driven by real emotion.  However, the computer is still a huge part of my days, to the point where I find that I'm missing out if I'm not constantly checking on things.  And being a small business and working with a team on different projects, I feel like I need to be there to respond quickly.  Plus I do a lot of buy and sell on that Facebook group, which also requires checking.

2.  Find a clear direction for this blog.

Hmmm...

I've gotten the blog to a look that I'm comfortable with, but with all the craft shows I was doing in the latter part of the year, I totally fell off the wagon as far as writing goes.  I also was working on blogging on The Nutmeg Collective's blog, so my efforts were spread thin.  I do think I'm working toward a better, more consistent direction for the coming year....that counts, right?

3. Maintain the shop at over 100 items.

YES.  Done.  (Don't look right now.)  Overall I had my shop in between 100-150 items for a good part of the year.  Right now I'm at 94 because I've had to deactivate so much stuff that had sold in person- not a bad problem to have.  Once I go through my current inventory and get photos, I'll be able to bring it back up.

4. Branch out locally.

YES!  I love my team, The Nutmeg Collective.  Without them, I would not have gotten out there like I have this year.  In the past four months, even.  Right now I have inventory in two shops in the state: Hartford Prints! and the B:Hive Swarm Shop.  I did countless and countless shows.  Together we've organized three small events around the holidays.  I had a feature in Hartford Magazine.  I have made real friends and have found so much in the way of advice and local camaraderie.  It is the best.

5. Join a treasury team on Etsy.

Oh.  Well, I applied to a few of the more well-known, fancy treasury teams and didn't get in.  I won't pretend that that didn't sting a little bit but it was also not a total surprise.  What was a total surprise was that Etsy totally changed up the front page of the site and no longer features member-curated treasuries, so even if I had gotten in, it would all be for naught.

6. Improve product photography (again).

I don't feel like I've done much in the way of product photography this year.  I have been selling a lot in person and the shop isn't getting much play as of late.  But, I just got a new little iPad for Christmas and it takes really nice photos, so I'm hoping to work on that more soon.

Not terrible progress, especially since I have a lot going on besides the business.  A lot.  I feel really good about the point I'm at right now, and I'm looking forward to great things in the coming year.

How did you fair on your goals and resolutions for 2014?

Follow me on Bloglovin'
bloglovin

Comments

  1. You should be very proud of the year you've had! Here's to an even greater 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paige @ Little NostalgiaJanuary 5, 2015 at 9:06 AM

    I feel like you accomplished a TON in 2014! High five! And like you said, it's a good thing that the whole treasury team thing didn't happen because look what's totally irrelevant now. You ended up focusing on other stuff and it totally paid off. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't think that I was really making progress, but by the end of the year I was like, woah. It feels good to just not be at a standstill.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts