The Scale.


Let's let this be confession and revelation week, shall we?

It's been a long cold winter.  A long, cold winter.  I will now admit to taking on bad habits that I never wanted to have, like wearing leggings around the house all day.  Leggings.  You know how I feel about leggings and I did it anyway.  (side note: A lot of this particular behavior stems from the fact that it's been really super cold and it was just easier to stay in the warmed up clothes I already had on than to change into new, cold clothes.  But I digress.)  And apparently it was a hungry winter.

Around the end of January I started to feel as though things like thighs were no longer in their standard proportion.  I decided I needed to start exercising- for several reasons- but mainly I just didn't like how I felt.  Then February and early March happened and there were holidays and occasions and business trips and other things that threw off the schedule which also threw off the eating as well as the exercising.  Now that I think back on it, there were a lot of baked goods in a short span of time.  While I don't tend to overeat, I do have a weakness for sweet carbs, and there was a big string of them.

Over the weekend I put on a pair of pants that I hadn't worn in awhile and to my horror, I couldn't get them fastened.  And more to my horror was my husband caught this moment of me struggling with the button.  Then he asked if I had gained weight- not in a mean-nasty way but just matter-of-factly asking, and I just kind of shook my head vaguely and ignored him.  And then I went to exercise.

Tonight I decided to step on the scale and face the number, just so I knew what I was in for.  Somehow the number was 20 pounds higher than where I usually am.  That makes me super frustrated with myself that I let things get out of whack like that.  The number itself isn't important, but it is a true gauge of where I should be and where I am.  I know there is probably someone reading this that thinks I shouldn't have an idea of where I "should" be and that any size is just fine, and I have no problem with that, but my pants don't fit and I don't want to buy bigger ones.  I'm not okay with that.  I'm also not a big person and 20 pounds is a lot of me and I don't like where it's decided to settle.

So along with trying to finagle a better schedule for myself, let's fit some steady exercise into the mix, plus drop the donuts and drink more water.  I've just been suddenly feeling like things have just gone way off track in so many areas and I need to actively attend to fixing those things to make sure it's all working better.  This is where I blame the leggings- they're too damn forgiving.

On the positive side, thank you all for the comments yesterday.  I'm both glad I'm not the only one and sorry that I can't help give you all more time in your day.  Anyone else also feeling squidgy, too?  Are you also looking at the wrong number on the scale?  It was a hard winter, right?

Comments

  1. Leggings are very forgiving, but good for you facing the scale and making small changes toward a healthier lifestyle :) I'm sure those pants will fit again in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am feeling a little squidgy. And I am wearing leggings right now. And I haven't been to the gym since Valentines craziness began-- so two months. And I'm about five pounds heavier than I normally am. However, we had planned on going back to the gym starting tonight, so reading this gives me extra motivation to not cop out tonight. I decided we had to last night when I was sitting in a chair reading and I actually undid my belt and jeans button because it was uncomfortable. Time to get active again, and I think the warmer weather will help keep me motivated again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a super hard winter! I used the shovel more than the treadmill and my thighs are reminding me. I can't blame it on leggings, but I know that winter comfort food had plenty to do with it. I used the grill last night since forever. Back to lighter, healthier cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm hoping so because I'm not buying new ones! I just need to change it up and realize I'm not 18 anymore and it's not just going to burn itself off. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you made it to the gym! It's great if you have someone to go with too. I know that feeling of undoing the pants, which is why the leggings are so dangerous. I can't wait for the full turn of the season and it warms up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used the shovel a lot too, and I was hoping that would count but apparently not enough! I can't wait to use the grill again- it's still stuck behind a snow pile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paige @ Little NostalgiaMarch 25, 2015 at 9:43 AM

    This isn't happening to me now, but it happened two years ago after we had a SUPER cold winter and I just never left the house. So I know exactly how you feel. There's never a strict number that I want to stay around, but like you, I go by how my clothes fit. I know you're crazy busy, but maybe a friend will want to join a class with you! I'm normally a hermit, but I actually like having my workout buddies from the gym around. They keep me motivated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, the clothes! I don't want the clothes to look badly on me! It's really not about the numbers- although I DID look at the BMI scale for my height and was shocked at the number where "overweight" starts- a little scary. I'm making small changes to what and when I eat and then actually exercising!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oof, a hard winter indeed! I'm in the same boat except that honestly, the 20 lbs heavier is more the weight I'm used to, but I had lost about 25 lbs a couple years ago. Then a series of life bumps came up and I pretty much went on an all-carb diet. Oops! It's so much easier to be active when the weather is warm and walking outside is a possibility...I'd happily walk miles every day or do other activities outdoors, but I generally don't enjoy exercising just to exercise. Glad to know I'm not alone in the boat. I hope spring is feeling better for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The carbs are the best and the worst, aren't they? They're just so easy to eat! Plus I had a no-exercise routine going so it's my own fault. Time for the extra 20 to go- we can do it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts