Catalog Challenge: Crate & Barrel.

Another month has flown by, and it's time again for a Catalog Challenge! Each month, Paige from Little Nostalgia and I take on a catalog and design our dream room using only wares from that store. This month we are tackling Crate & Barrel and we decided to do an office, which I was keen on because that is one space where I generally know what type of pieces I need. But...I had a hard time with this one! I found all the basics but as far as decor goes, everything was just a little too trendy for me. So here's what I'm going with:


 desk // hobby table // chair // cabinet // short cabinet // rug // lamp // kiwi bird

Like I said, I've got all the basic pieces.  The desk is really cool because it has the shelves on the side, drawers, and the top lifts up to hide supplies.  They also offer a hobby table (say what?!?!) where the sides drop down so you can decrease its size down to the center console of shelves and then roll it out of the way.  Yes, I said roll it.  Genius.  Together, my sewing and cutting needs would be taken care of.  Add that lovely cushioned chair to the mix and I would be working happily.

Moving on from there: storage.  I have a ton of fabric and I like to keep it contained on shelves so I can see what I've got, so bookshelves and cabinets are great options.  The taller cabinet that I chose is actually white, and it would be a lovely way to store fabric, plus the doors would catch anything that would otherwise hit the floor.  I like it so much that I may need more than one.  The smaller cabinet is a lovely gray tone and would be perfect to hold my computer, printer, and packaging supplies.  Win-win.

I love the teal color of the area rug, and I think it would play nicely off the gray in the cabinet.  The desk light is a classic style, and I couldn't resist the kiwi bird, which you can stand up or sit on its bum so it's looking out at its feet. That's where I ran out of steam- the other decor items I would add to the room- a clock, some art, office supplies, etc.- were all too modern for my taste, and so I didn't really feel like I could commit to something that didn't really fit the aesthetic of the room.  They have some really fun decor items, but mostly stuff I would want to put in a living room or bedroom.  So, a minimalist workspace it is.  Maybe I would get more done that way!  And this space came in at just under $4000, which is pretty reasonable in dream-room land.

Make sure to hop on over to Little Nostalgia and see what Paige picked out- her rooms always come together so nicely!

Comments

  1. Paige @ Little NostalgiaMay 18, 2015 at 9:47 AM

    I almost used the kiwi bird, too! I actually had it in my collage but took it out at the eleventh hour. MIND MELD. I love how both of us took our actual business needs into consideration instead of totally veering off into fantasy land. Your storage pieces are awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts