2016 Books: Read It.


Every now and then I manage to finish a book - reading being an activity that I enjoy very much, but I seem to have trained myself to think it's selfish to sit and not move and just absorb words for an hour or so.  So while I don't take the time that I would like to relax and read, I did manage to finish off a few good books this past year.


Food and the City was by far one of my favorites.  Told in short story form grouped by food category (chef, waiter, huge restaurants, tiny niche eateries, food trucks) by those in the industry, each vignette gives you a look into the world of food in New York City, right down to the woman who runs the food program for Rikers Island.  The insight into those who started their own business or work at storied institutions is fascinating.


This one is way outside of my normal picks, but I really liked it.  A collection of short stories, the reader is taken from one bizarre situation to another, putting a weird twist on everyday situations like book clubs and reality shows.



Probably one of the best books I've read in awhile, this (true) story satisfied all my secret desires of traveling while also touching on the complete anxiety of it all.  The author and her boyfriend decide to travel overseas carrying no more than what they are wearing and what they can fit in their pockets, relying on couch surfing, friends, and strangers.  I enjoyed the adventure from the safety of my couch.



The fine art of why Jewish mothers raise such smart, upstanding children.  Anyone who has kids could easily read this book and pick up some tips, while also learning some history on why education and character are so important to the Jewish people.  From what I read, I'd currently rate at about 50% Jewish mother.


This was a fun book and a quick read, written in the form of texts and emails and chronicling a relationship in the digital age.  Written from the perspective of both he and she, we can see how the written word can be taken out of context, and how easy it is to insert friends into your "private" communications.

What's been a favorite book of yours lately?  I'm currently on the hunt for something new, and I'd love suggestions!

Comments

Popular Posts