How In the World Do People Find My Stuff?

That is a sort-of rhetorical question.  I'm not really looking for an answer to it (I know about Analytics, etc. etc.), but as I was sitting here checking through my activity feed, I literally asked that aloud.

If you are non-Etsy, an activity feed is a screen where you can see anyone who favorites your stuff or your shop (and what's going on with people in your circle, but that topic is for another day).  I am always so grateful when anyone favorites my shop or one of my items, but I am left completely baffled at how they may have found an item that was listed over a month ago when I'm not posting anything new or renewing my listings (I'm slacking, I know).  I am left wondering, in what manner did they find me?  An old treasury?  A tweet I sent out?  I am certainly not complaining but I am totally curious!

Oh, which leads me to another thought that's been rattling around in my head for a few weeks: some of my very-first-listed items are coming due to expire in the middle of the month, and I'm wondering if I should renew them or let them go.  What would you do?  Keep any that have been favorited, perhaps?  Renew them and put them on sale?  Let them go and try desperately to get some inspiration to make and post something new?

Some of my soon-to-expire favorites:

Square magnetic bookmarks

Miniature magnetic bookmarks

Miniature magnetic bookmarks

Classic ribbon bookmarks

Nature-inspired note card set

Comments

  1. I would renew them! They aren't season specific and more people are finding out about etsy everyday. The only things that I let expire are seasonal or things I didn't really like that much as my shop evolved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sometimes wish I could interview my customers to ask how they found me - it would be so helpful to see if there were certain venues that seemed to work better than others!

    I'm a big fan of magnets :) What a great idea to use them as bookmarks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am coming up on that same issue... my first items are coming up for renewal. I've been using the opportunity to tweak the listings, change tags, descriptions, prices, etc. to reflect some of the things I have learned since I was a brand new etsy seller... and since I have been so busy and haven't had time to list many new items, it keeps my shop visible to renew.

    ReplyDelete
  4. renew them! and make and list one new thing next week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been wondering the same thing. Sometimes I see (using craftopolis) that somebody found an old card I made on "page 303" who the heck is looking that far?! Anyways, I also have about 6 things that will expire in the next few days. I've decided to let them go on and live another life without etsy. I have previously tried renewing, reducing prices, and tweeting these things out. Nobody wants em, so I ain't gonna force it! Good luck :)

    -rwk
    rwkrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, it just happened again like 2 seconds ago! Bookplates that have been listed since my first round just got favorited. I don't understand it!! Haha!!

    Thanks everyone for your opinions and advice!! I think I may renew the stuff with hearts (and a few favorites) and let it be that.

    Meg- I'll try my best! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder that very same thing daily!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have no idea why that happens - but I would renew your pieces! I've had things sell that have been in the shop for 2 years just waiting for that perfect buyer :) Plus, the more you have in your shop the more likely you are to have the right thing for the right person. I'm not doing good on that one right now...need to work on it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just because something is about to expire doesn't mean it "failed". I look at renewing as my rent; it makes no difference to me the price of the item; every item in my shop gets renewed every few days. No matter where you sell it would cost money; I think it's definitely worth it to renew. Besides, more items in your shop is always better. If you let these items expire; you'll have fewer avenues for people to find you. In some ways, older items are great because there's an established link. Don't think of that renew fee as being deducted from your profit for that item; it's advertising and rent all rolled into one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts