Office Space.

My workspace is a small bedroom in the upstairs of our house.  It started off as Gus's bedroom but we moved him to a larger room down the hall once Greta was born, and this room had such good light that I swapped my original office space for this one.  I am incredibly fortunate to have a space like this- I know many of you work out of your dining room, which I have done and know what a pain that can be.  Because the space is small, I wanted to get the most of it that I could while keeping with our vintage meets cottage feel we have going on.

The walls were medium blue that I honestly never really loved, but it was so hard to find a blue we liked that we just went with it.  It was going to be a boy's room so it would be fine....until it became and office and those blue walls were starting to become a hassle at product photography time.  I had been wanting to change the space for awhile, but given the fact that when we renovated the house, each room was totally stripped out, I was hesitant to paint walls with nice carpet in the room.  Finally I decided it was time.  Product development wasn't happening due to the anxiety creative block that was thrown my way, so I figured that sprucing up the space may kickstart my ambition.

Each photo below is the old space followed by one of the new space.  I am so thrilled with it.














Do you love it??

A few of the obvious changes: the walls went from blue to the coffee-and-cream tan that we used in all of the common spaces in the house.  Even though it's not a stark white, it is so much brighter in there, and even though it's brighter, I feel like it's much cozier somehow.  The sewing table moved from the nook to the wall when you walk in, and the Expedit that was on that wall went into Greta's room to tackle a situation desperately needing baskets/shelving.  In place of the sewing table, my patient husband and I built three of the skinny Billy bookcases, which he ardently bolted together and to the wall because he's awesome like that.

The work table stayed in place, but I got a new shipping station, and let me tell you how awesome it is to have all that stuff- scale, tissue, labels, mailers, printer, and laptop on top when I need it- in one spot.  The other filing cabinet went across the way, allowing me to get the mannequin off the floor.  The two shelves scored at the dump were replaced with one new shelf from Home Depot, and then artwork was painstakingly and agonizingly hung up as slowly as humanly possible (more on that soon).  I recovered the seat on my chair- another desperate situation (tutorial coming soon)- and my husband made me an awesome clock, which was always sorely missing up there.  I got a full-sized ironing board and over-the-door hanger to keep it out of the way, sending my bowed, college-days mini tabletop ironing board to the exchange shack at the dump.

The room really makes me so happy every time I go in there.  It turned out closer to what I envisioned than I actually thought I could do, and I love all the small touches and details that add some fun to the space.  It's a room I want to spent time in, and I feel like I was a lot more thoughtful with how I set it up this time than the first time around.  It's evolved to be more functional for my business and more enjoyable personally, so what more can you ask for?

I'd love to hear what you think, or if you're working on your own creative space, or if you are still dreaming of your own space.
Follow me on Bloglovin'
bloglovin

Comments

  1. Oh, I love this! It turned out looking fabulous!! I love the organization. Enjoy crafting and creating in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is awesome! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I'm so excited with it, especially getting the fabric out of the bins and being able to see it all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so organized! My studio is a disaster. Always. I don't have a shipping station but probably should to speed up packing orders. And I'd like my supplies to be more visible instead of all in boxes. But I'll get there eventually. :) Your office looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! Bear in mind it was neat for photos...and now not so much! :) The shipping cart helped so much and it holds everything I need, which is unbelievable. I love love love having my fabric out of the Rubbermaid bins and on shelves. I keep thinking, oh- I love that fabric that I forgot I had!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great! The paint really brightened up the room more than I would have imagined. I really wish that I had a little spot dedicated just for shipping. And everything looks so organized! That is not the case in my studio. It is a complete disaster right now. Stuff all over the place and boxes on the floor. I just don't have enough work surfaces. I like that you have two desks of sorts, and I would like that eventually. I need to move the sofa chair out and down to the basement, but we can't do that until we put the new flooring in the basement (the last part of that project). Gah! Anyway, looks fantastic and I'm a bit envious! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks! Yes, I can't sew standing up and I can't cut sitting down, so two tables it is! I loved having the Expedit in there sideways because that was a huge "counter" of sorts, but then it just ending up being a landing place for junk, so having the new bookcases helps so much. You'll get you're space sorted out! We had stuff in the wrong places because of renovations for so long, I know how that goes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paige @ Little NostalgiaMay 14, 2014 at 10:23 AM

    You already know that I LOVE this space, but I'm going to tell you again. It looks amazing! And like everyone else has said, you're so organized! A shipping station is a great idea. I used to plop down onto the floor and package everything there during wedding season because there wasn't room anywhere else. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks! I'm glad I went with the lighter color for sure. It's organized in those photos but I have since accumulated more piles.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful, bright, colorful workspace! It looks absolutely beautiful! I wish I had that kind of a space to do my work-at-home in, but right now I'm fighting for space with my husband, who really does work at home. I feel bad taking his office space at home when I have an office at work, but I can't consult out of the office.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you! I am loving in, and even though the kids invade, it's nice to have all the "stuff" in one spot.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts