Of Birthdays

We had a birthday in our house over the weekend.  Can you guess whose?


I spent my Friday baking cakes and making frosting for Saturday's party, all with my trusty sidekick at my side.  He was very good at eating batter and frosting; needless to say we went through a lot of paper towels cleaning up.  First up: gluten-free chocolate cake.  My aunt has celiac disease, meaning she can't eat gluten, so we try our best to make sure there is a gluten-free option.  This cake came from a mix by Namaste, which I got at Whole Foods, and it was really delicious- moist and spongy.  If you're looking for that option, I would totally recommend this mix.  I topped it with the frosting from the back of the Hershey's cocoa box, which is also gluten-free.


Can you tell I used two different-sized cake pans?  Does it look like I cared?  Nope.  Next up: the main cake- yellow cake and white frosting, ready to decorate.  This year's inspiration:


I'm not Cake Boss or Ace of Cakes or anything by any stretch of the imagination, but I can hold my own when decorating a cake.  Like sewing, I'm not going to win any prizes, but I can put together a pretty snazzy Halloween costume when called upon.  Anyway, I started by frosting the whole thing white, then used a toothpick to "sketch" my design.


Then it became a paint-by-number job, essentially.  I started with the main body of the tractor in John Deere green, of course.  Tires and other details were done in gray (a heavy mix of blue, green, and red food coloring), and then the hubcaps were filled in with bright yellow.  Using a little bit of the leftover chocolate frosting from the first cake, I added some mud.  All in all, success!





Anyone else do some baking over the weekend?

Oh, and you can check out a quick post about me on Flex Family Arts today!

Comments

  1. That cake looks great! :) I'm not sure I could do that in icing..... Sea Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whole foods really does have great gluten free baking mixes, the brownies are very good too! I used to make a lot of cookies just substituting regular flour with half oat flour and half barley flour, worked great! The tractor cake looks perfect, it matches the dump truck card I made!! perfect pair :)

    -rachel w k
    rwkrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an amazing cake and yay for being with us this month too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cake turned out great! I was just trying to figure out how to make a car cake for my son's birthday today. Thanks for the great technique ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That cake is wonderful, I bet you son loved it:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! Thanks for grabbing my button from Kaitlin and Kylie's! I'd love for you to feature my shop. I'm in the process of making new product photos for my reopening, so after I get those posted, you're welcome to do a feature and use any of the pics. I'm wanting to focus on desserts and parties for my blog. I would love to use this cake post as a guest post in return for a feature!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts