Catalog Challenge: Pottery Barn.

Happy Monday!

I'm super excited to bring you a new monthly collaboration with my friend Paige at Little Nostalgia: the Catalog Challenge. In December, before Christmas, when alllllll the catalogs started rolling in (seriously, Lands' End, I love you but I don't need 6 catalogs in a week's time) I was looking at my stack and thought, "I am sooooo Pottery Barn and Paige is sooooo West Elm", as far as our general decorating tastes go. And I was looking through them, I thought it might be fun to challenge Paige to do a blog post where she would have to decorate a room using only PB and I would have to use WE. That evolved into, well, how about we pick one catalog company a month, and using an unlimited budget, each make a dream room.

So here we are!  We decided to start with Pottery Barn, since that was the original kick-off catalog.  I had to restrain myself on this one because I want all the things.  For real, I have said more than once that I would love for the PB catalog to just throw up all over my house.  I love the classic styling and clean lines and muted colors.  My dream living room goes a little like this:

I am all about neutrals so all of these items were easy choices for me, and since they are all neutral, you could easily add a little bit of color here or there with knick-knacks or by changing out the pillows, blankets, etc.  A solid leather sofa and comfy arm chairs are a must, as is a nice wall of cabinets.  I like balancing out all the standard stuff with some fun items like the spotlight, and the legal cabinet (where the doors swing up!), the wood and leather ottoman, the giant map, and those shearling pillows and blanket just make me want to snuggle in.  And if anyone wants to get me that downward dog, my birthday is coming up in a few weeks.  For just $18,200 (give or take a basket) this could all be yours!

If I had that kind of money I would totally invest in pieces like these because most of them are staples and are not overly trendy.  The funny thing is, when I was done putting this together, I realized my actual living room pretty much looks like this, just with a few tweaks here or there so I am pretty consistent with my style apparently, and therefore it can be done for cheaper!

This was a fun "challenge" for me since I got to go a little crazy in one of my favorite shops.  Don't forget to hop on over to Little Nostalgia and see what Paige came up with!


Follow me on Bloglovin'
bloglovin

Comments

  1. Paige @ Little NostalgiaJanuary 26, 2015 at 8:47 AM

    Love it! This DOES look a lot like your existing living room, which is so awesome. I was wondering if you'd end up replicating your house! Haha. I was about to say that I really want the big white shelving unit, but we already have something like that in the basement so... I guess the lesson here is that we're creatures of habit. Can't wait to do this again next month! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! I'm very much Pottery Barn + Restoration Hardware, and that's one of the things that got me doing DIY furniture. For one, I can't afford to furnish my house in the looks I love, and for another, the furniture is DIY-able. Makes me glad I'm not into ultra modern chrome and acrylic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Me too. I love how classic it is- and it could go with modern accents if you wanted it to. I do wish they had more sales though! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've had some luck with the floor models at PB. We bought our coffee table there at about 60% off because it was a floor model that had gotten a little roughed up in shipping, and we also bought a floor model lamp.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love this idea! my friends and i will sometimes do a girls day at somewhere like ikea or target and we often remark on how different our purchases are even though we are shopping at the same place. also, can we jut talk about that couch for a minute... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We can talk about the couch allllll day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That top right filing cabinet is AMAZING. Sign me up to move in. I still (STILL!) have all of the Restoration Hardware catalogs that got sent out last year that they got so much slack for. They're too beautiful to recycle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Were those those giant heavy, thick catalogs they sent out? I drooled over every page. I'd live there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YES! Those were them. They inspired some of our Print Therapy rebrand and I still look at them when I'm interior design dreaming. So gorgeous. Have you been to their showroom in Greenwich at the old post office?

    ReplyDelete
  10. No! Sounds like a road trip's in order!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts