2016 Goals: Start.

Sometimes the hardest thing for me to do is to get moving on ideas that I have or things that need to get done- this blog, housework, new products.  Sometimes it's a matter of situation- it's too noisy in the house for me to sit down and write something coherently, or someone needs to be picked up from school right then, etc.- so getting to work on something often falls by the wayside.  Sometimes there are too many things and too many ideas that need to be started on all at once, and choosing one thing proves to be overwhelming, so nothing gets done.

Over the past few months I have seen my lists grow and grow.  I keep hearing myself say, "Oh yea, I need to do that."  Or, "Whoops, forgot to get to that."  I find myself apologizing in correspondence for the delay in getting back.  I miss self-imposed deadlines, or see someone accomplishing the same thing I've been trying to do myself.

It's time to break that cycle.

Last year I chose intention as my word of the year, my first ever.  I wanted to make sure that I was doing things that were purposeful and with direction.  For 2016, I want to make sure that I am not bogged down by indecision and distraction.  There is a lot I would like to accomplish this year and I need to get out of my own way.  For 2016 my word is:


Start on something, anything.  Answer that email, start cutting fabric for a project, sit down and work on something whether I feel like it or not.  Put the laundry going, for crying out loud.  Because I know that once I start, I find more energy to continue.  I feel happiness at having accomplished something, for getting to cross something off the list.  Since my biggest obstacle lately seems to be starting, that is just what I want to make myself do.  Starting is the hardest part.

And I have goals for the year that definitely need to be started on!  In no particular order, they are:

1. Send more snail mail.  I recently discovered that I have a large amount of stationery and note cards and other writing things, and I would really like to use some of it to send notes to people that I may or may not see often.  A card or a note can be a bright spot in someone's day, and I'd really like to be proactive with birthday cards this year instead of seeing it on Facebook too late to do anything than post a message.

2. Realign my Etsy shop: ready to mail.  One of the biggest problems with my Etsy shop (other than keeping it stocked) is that it seems like the times I am the busiest in real life are the times someone places an order for something I don't already have made.  I then stress out and have to find time to cram the order in and it doesn't make me the happiest, most productive person.  In the coming year I would like to work on my shop, with at least 90% of my listings being things that I have ready to send out.  If nothing else it might help keep me sane.

3. Add quilts to my product line.  This is something that I have wanted to do for a long time.  Quilting is a more complicated process and certainly more time-intensive, but I'd like to add some of these to my shop as a more diverse sewing project.

4. Complete a new branding scheme.  Last year, my deal friend Cyn from RiverDog Prints did some logo work for me and then it got into the busy season and I lapsed on finishing any kind of design including new business cards and promo materials.  This year it's going to happen.  Mainly because I have no business cards left.

5. Stop random buying.  For the first few years in our house we didn't spend money on anything we didn't need.  We had a new baby, a new dog, and a new house that required a complete overhaul- extras just didn't happen.  As we've moved into each new phase, I've noticed that my spending gets loose from time to time, and I'm "justifying" purchases.  We've also been trying to clear out all the unnecessary junk that we've been holding on to for no good reason, and I don't want to add to that.

 6. Have a date night more than once a year.  My dear husband and I don't tend to go out much just the two of us.  Any free time we have is devoted to projects we're currently working on, and if we do go out, our kids are well-behaved enough that we just all go out together.  The one exception of the year is our anniversary, where we go out to dinner alone.  I'd like for us to do this a little more often this year as it's always nice to have a little quiet time and it seems like something grown-ups should do.

I pledge to check in on myself in three months to see how these are coming, and I hope you'll pop in and check in on me too.  If you see me on social media, kick me in the pants and tell me to get started on something.  I will appreciate your brash, bold command.

#happy2016!

Comments

Popular Posts