Good Read // Good Watch.

While I was not blogging over the past however many months, I was reading, and I have been fortunate to come across some really great books.  I do a lot of searches on Pinterest for book reviews, book club reads, best new books, etc. and that rarely fails to disappoint in providing at least one good book I feel like I need to grab.  One of these books was Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff.


Fates and Furies was billed one of the best September releases, and rightly so.  It's the story of Lotto and Mathilde, who marry young and find a home and success in New York City.  That's seriously about all I can tell you without giving the whole plot away and ruining the book for you.  This is a very well-written story with twists and turns you just don't see coming, making it one of those books that you just can't put down, but it's not a thriller that shocks you to the core.  It's just a perfectly spun tale of a marriage and how in marriage, things aren't always as they seem.  I have heard that for some, it's hard to slog though the beginning.  If you feel that way, keep going: it took me three tries to start The Hunger Games and we all know how that book turned out.

Fun fact: the story starts out in Weeki Wachee, Florida, home of the live mermaid show.  Yes, this is a real place, and yes, this is a real thing, and yes, we just took our kids there over the summer (it's relatively close to my in-laws' house).  This tickled me since it's such an obscure thing and not only do I know about it, I've been there!  Understandably, if you haven't, I can see where in reading the book you'd be like what??  Just click that link up there and take a look and you'll be set.

If you have some down time, or an afternoon or two you want to spend burning through some pages, this is definitely one to pick up, and I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

What good reads have you found lately?  Anyone else ever been to the mermaid show?

****

via Google

Sir Ian McKellen as Sherlock Holmes.  Need I say more???  McKellen plays Holmes at the end of his life, trying desperately to remember the details of his last case.  Brilliantly played, with flashbacks woven through the narrative to slowly reveal bits and pieces of the forgotten case.  Must. Watch.

Have you checked this one out yet?  Who's your favorite Sherlock?

Comments

Popular Posts